Saturday, March 12, 2011

On being a stay-at-home mom

Interesting perspective on stay-at-home moms in this CNN article.

My decision to be a stay-at-home mom really surprised me. It wasn't anything I ever thought I would want to do. But when we started looking at daycares, nothing felt right. And given the cost, I started thinking... what would I really be working for?

We were very fortunate that Ben's job allowed me to even consider staying at home as an option. I have many friends who simply need the extra income. Others that hold their family's benefits. And others that simply want to work. Whatever the reason, it's OK to work. Kids thrive in daycare. I'm not trumpeting stay-at-home moms as superior in any way. It was just the best option for us.

Granted, money is tight and there are some days that I practically throw Will at Ben when he walks in the door. But most days are totally awesome. I love the flexibility of being a stay-at-home mom, and I love that I get to spend my days with Will. We've developed a great network of other stay-at-home moms and babies, so we're constantly meeting for play dates or going to various child development classes.

My life as a stay-at-home mom is non-stop. It's hard to rarely have a break, and for my work and personal life to be one chaotic mess. But I love the time I'm spending with Will. And it's really nice to be able to stay in my jammies until lunch when I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!