Wednesday, March 30, 2011

D.I.Y. Baby Food

I absolutely love making our own baby food. It's super fresh and unbelievably easy. Just compare the color and texture of jarred baby food to homemade baby food and you'll be sold!

Most of the time I go to the grocery store (and soon the farmer's market!) and just buy whatever organic produce looks good that day. I've vowed to never feed Will anything I wouldn't eat myself, so I have tried literally everything he has. We mix it up a lot, but I almost always buy organic banana, avocado and sweet potato, as they are Will's favorites.

We are fortunate enough to have a Beaba Babycook (courtesy of my mother-in-law), but you could definitely get by with a basket steamer and a mini food processor if need be. The Beaba is a little pricey, but definitely worth it in my mind. In the Beaba everything is steamed and pureed in the same bowl, so it saves on prep time, cooking time and clean up. I also love that the Beaba saves the cooking liquid, so I can puree the nutrients lost during cooking right back in.

I have several baby food cookbooks, but I've really just been winging the purees as of late. I'll probably start consulting the books when we advance to more complex purees (like the one's that include meat and grains). But just to show you how awesome and easy homemade baby food is, here's a glance at one of the meals I made Will last week...

Spinach and Pear Puree

1 cup of baby spinach, 1 medium pear (chopped)

















Add to Beaba steamer basket (water measure 2)


Steam!

Remove steamer basket, pour contents into bowl, and puree
Mmmmm... enjoy!

































































So how 'bout it? Any tips, tricks or yummy combinations to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!