Wednesday, April 17, 2013

One Week Old

Charlotte Louise - 1 Week

Dear Charlotte,

My sweet girl, today you are one week old.

I can't believe you've only been here for seven days. You've settled quite easily into our lives, and in some ways, it feels like you've been here forever. Or at least that you were always meant to be a part of our family.

You are the sweetest baby. Very content and mello. You really only cry when you're hungry or chilly, and even then, we've only gotten a "mad" cry out of you a few times. Daddy and I jokingly call you our "victory" baby... our reward for making it through those challenging early months with your brother.

Breastfeeding is going well, although we had some latch issues early on. I'm still a little sore (especially on the left side), but the lactation consultant says you're now latching correctly and things will get more comfortable in the coming days/weeks. You took to breastfeeding very easily, and you are a ferocious eater. You take both breasts for most feedings and audibly gulp down my milk.

You seem to have your days and nights mixed up, as you will sleep for much longer stretches during the day and be alert for longer stretches at night. I often have to wake you during the day to nurse. But even when we're up at night you are so peaceful. You're absolutely content just to snuggle on my chest or gaze around.

Perhaps the most surprising thing about bringing you home is that we're now bedsharing. You will only sleep for a 40-50 minute stretch alone in your bassinet, but when you're laying next to me in bed, you'll snooze for 2-3 hours. Given the fact that we both need to sleep, bedsharing soon became a no-brainer. Having you in our bed made me nervous at first, but now I absolutely love it. I adore snuggling next to you as we're falling asleep, and waking up to you breathing peacefully beside me. We'll need to transition you to your own bed eventually, but for now, I'm enjoying the extra newborn snuggles.

We're absolutely in love with you, sweet girl.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!