Monday, January 24, 2011

Good news, bad news

The good news is that our insurance company approved Will's helmet. Hooray!

The bad news is that it's January, and we haven't fulfilled any of our deductible yet. Boo.

So we have to pay the entire cost of the helmet out of pocket. This wouldn't be so bad, except that we've had to pay our deductible in full the last two years. If you recall...

2009: Ben's knee surgery
2010: Will's birth

Our savings account is crying.

In case you're wondering, Will gets scanned for his helmet next week. They send 3D images of his head to a production facility in Georgia, which makes him a custom helmet. We return to the orthotist's office 1-2 weeks later to get fitted. Then Will wear's his helmet about 22 hours a day for 4 months. We check in with the orthotist once a week to monitor his progress and make sure everything is fitting correctly. If all goes well, he'll be out of the helmet by Memorial Day.

It still sucks, but I'm happy we're moving forward. I just want to get him in treatment so we can put this behind us.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the medical expenses. I'm navigating my way through deductibles too and I've had it uptohere! I try to look at the bright side - I have insurance - but it is hard to see.

    Glad you are on track to get Will's helmet. I think he'll be cute no matter what.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!