Friday, April 29, 2011

To work or not to work?

That is the question.

I've been offered a part-time graduate assistantship for the 2011-2012 academic year. The job would be a good fit for me... 15 hours per week, competitive pay, and in my program department with professors I know and respect.

The position would require me to be away from Will 2-3 days a week, which I know doesn't sound major, but feels incredibly monumental since I'm only away from him about 4 hours a week now.

Will will be 13 months when the position begins, which is plenty old to start spending a few days a week away from Mama. It's not that I'm worried about him being with someone else. My mother-in-law would take him one day a week (maybe more). The other days he would be at the university child care center, which is a very nice facility.

But I'm having trouble reconciling my desire to gain experience in my chosen field with my desire to be home with my child. I just don't know what the right thing to do is.

Ah, mom guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!