Thursday, August 19, 2010

Blog? What blog?

In case you haven't noticed, having a newborn and maintaining a blog don't exactly go hand in hand. Like most new moms, I'm having trouble doing anything other than sleep, eat, mindlessly watch TV or clean the house when Will takes a nap.

It may be the understatement of the century, but being a new mom is exausting. I have completely forgotten what 8 hours of sleep feels like. Will wakes and eats about every 2-3 hours. Most of the time I feel like a 24 hour buffet.

Waking in the middle of the night to feed, change and soothe Will isn't the hard part. When he needs me, I'm on. It's when he starts to drift off to sleep that I realize how tired I am. I carefully place him in his bassinet and give a silent prayer that maybe, just maybe, this will be the moment when he decides he can sleep for 4 hours straight. Yeah, right. I think that one might be awhile.

The truth is that being a mom is tiring, and at times overwhelming. But it's also amazing. So you take the good with the bad. The snuggles with the sleepless nights. The chubby cheeks with the dirty diapers. And you find strength in place you didn't even know existed inside you.

But if he's offering, I'd take a few more hours of sleep a night.

1 comment:

  1. The problem is that as soon as he starts sleeping for longer periods, instead of waking up when he cries to feed him, you will wake up in a panic wondering why he ISN'T crying, and then need to go poke him. Which will wake him up. Aaaaand then you can feed him. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!