Friday, May 24, 2013

Just kidding...

Wednesday was my six week postpartum check, which was a big one because we were doing the follow-up and treatment plan for my vaginal prolapse.

Except...

It turns out I don't have a vaginal prolapse.

Upon further review (and second look when things were healed and not so ouchy after child birth), my midwife determined that the mass in my vaginal canal was not a prolapse. Good news!

Except...

What the hell is it then?

The midwife sent me to a urologist who believes it's a urethral cyst. Apparently fairly common in women. It just so happens mine flared up after child birth.

The not so good news? This sucker has to come off. So I'm scheduled for surgery in 10 days.

It's an outpatient procedure and should only take 20-30 minutes. I go in at 6:30 in the morning and I should be home before lunch time.

The big bummer is that I have to go under general anesthesia, which means I can't breastfeed for 24 hours after surgery. Charlotte is doing so well with breastfeeding... I hope this doesn't disrupt our nursing relationship.

Luckily she takes a bottle well and I already have enough milk for her in the freezer, but she'll only be eight weeks old on the day of the operation. I just hate the idea of not being able to nurse her for a whole day. Although I struggled with Will, I absolutely love nursing Charlotte. She's so little, and I don't want anything to jeopardize her breastfeeding success.

2 comments:

  1. Not breast feeding for a day will probably be harder on you than her, enjoy the extra sleep and rest as you heal. Caleb spent about 24 hours away from me around 8 weeks and it had no impact on breast feeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to hear, Amy! I'm hoping it will be no big thing for her too. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading!