Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Four Agreements

I recently got wind of some people saying catty things about me behind my back. Nothing major. They were basically just picking apart a decision I had made. But it was enough to make me think twice about who to trust, and who has my best interest at heart.

I was feeling kind of down about it, until I remembered to pick up one on of my favorite books: The Four Agreements.

My mom gave this book to me in high school. It presents four principles to help you live your best life:
  1. Be impeccable with your word
  2. Don't take anything personally
  3. Don't make assumptions
  4. Always do your best
Just some food for thought. It was #2 that helped me rise above the situation last week. When people are catty and judgmental, it's not about you, it's about them.

Along those same lines, I also want to pass on this post from one of my favorite bloggers. It chronicles her past-life as an internet mean girl, and issues an apology to the people she may have hurt.

I have been called "weird and judgy" myself a time or two (Grey's Anatomy? Anyone? Anyone?). But it's good to remember to try and speak kindly and offer friendship whenever you can.

3 comments:

  1. That's a bummer Sammy. People are jerks. We all are sometimes I guess. So glad you're able to brush it off, cause you're right, it's about them not you. I figure if a few people aren't talking shit about you once in awhile, you're probably not being bold enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammy, you gave me my copy of that book! And I'll never forget it. Along those same lines, I've thought a lot lately about how most people act out of "ego"... (I think it's in an Eckart Tolle book my friend read?) People seriously think the world revolves around them. And most things can be boiled down to people acting selfishly or out of insecurity... and when I realize that, I'm just glad I'm me and not them, because I know what's up. I totally agree with Alyssa regarding being bold ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!