Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bye-bye, Mama

Every summer, I get together with four of my best friends from high school for a fun-filled slumber party weekend. I love these girls so much. They have known me since I was a gangly, glasses-wearing, brace-faced, 11 year-old girl. Before babies, or blogs, or husbands, or college, or prom, or boyfriends, or broken hearts, or (as Maggie put it recently) puberty. We've been doing our annual summer sleepover every year since 2002, and it's always one of the highlights of my year.

The slumber party rules are simple: 1) No significant others (we now plan a separate "family weekend" to spend time with each others families) and 2) no children (unless they're itty bitty, brand new babies). Will doesn't quite fit the itty bitty category any more, so he will be staying with Daddy while I jaunt on over to Minneapolis for three days of chatting, relaxing and over-eating. Sounds heavenly, yes?

Most definitely yes. But... I am going to miss my sweet baby terribly. The longest I've ever left him was 18 hours (12 of which he was sleeping). So this is a major moment for me. I know it's good for both of us to spend some time apart, but I'm going to miss him so much. I fully anticipate I will be crying in the car nearly the entire way to Minneapolis. Luckily I'll have four dear friends around to help mend my aching heart.


2 comments:

  1. I assume that by "mend (your) aching heart" you mean "wallow in separation and generally freak out" then yes. :)

    I just got to work and won't see Milo until Sunday afternoon so I'm right there with you. Katey will talk us down...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, you did great. It was fantastic girls weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!